Matts blog 8

Apr 14, 2014 | General

Matts blog 8

Matts blog 8 
We left Mo’orea to pick up the replacement parts from Tahiti we required. Made a successful departure from Tahiti on track north to the atolls. 100 miles out of Tahiti in the middle of the night we had our starboard stabilizer sieze in the upward position causing the boat to loose a lot of roll control and prompting the decision to return to a safe mooring in Tahiti. Steve Dashew impressively, within an hour of notification had us on the phone with the technical manager of Naiad Dynamics in America. He ran us through several, electrical related trouble shooting procedures none providing much luck. Our suspicions are lying in the direction of a faulty hydraulic actuator. With pressure on us from Tahitian authorities to leave the anchorage we were in, I manually disconnected the hydraulic ram from the stabilizer shaft and rotated the stabilizer to the central position. We then lifted the anchor and have returned to Mo’orea where we will continue trouble shooting with the assistance of Naiad’s team. During our time in Marina Taina, we, oviously used our black water holding tanks, all very well until we realised once we were in open water that the drainage plumbing from the tank is blocked. Guess who will be doing the honours. Of course bad things come in threes and when we dropped the anchor and killed the main engine, went to fire up the generator, only to realise it had no raw water cooling flow. Upon disassembling the water pump we have found an impellor with no remaining teeth.  It’s starting to look like I’m in for a very busy night and potentially busy couple of days. I doubt we will be leaving French Polynesia anytime soon if we have to wait for stabiliser spares from the US. Saying that I can think of worse places to be waiting for parts, as much as I love the crystal clear waters of the Whangarei town basin. Loosing one of the stabilizers, surprisingly didn’t affect boat handling and performance to critically, I would not like to cross the pacific like that but it was reassuring to see there is a fairly strong safety margin with all the critical systems. The personal assistance from Steve Dashew and his team has been quite remarkable to say the least. We will spend the night in this little bay surrounded by super yachts and postcard style cabins on the water front, try and solve as many issues as possible and limp back to Tahiti in the morning. The last couple of days haven’t been quite as relaxing and enjoyable as the previous, but at the end of the day its nothing you cant expect from long distance power boating. So far so good.

View all posts


Leave a Comment

This is a captcha-picture. It is used to prevent mass-access by robots. (see: